Substantive Change Policy
Young Harris College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and complies with SACSCOC’s . As such, Young Harris College reports, and when necessary gains approval for, all substantive changes as required by SACSCOC.
According to SACSCOC, a substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution. Substantive change includes:
- Any change in the established mission or objectives of the institution
- Any change in legal status, form of control, or ownership of the institution
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated
- The addition of courses or programs of study at a degree or credential level different from that which is included in the institution’s current accreditation or reaffirmation.
- A change from clock hours to credit hours
- A substantial increase in the number of clock or credit hours awarded for successful completion of a program
- The establishment of an additional location geographically apart from the main campus at which the institution offers at least 50% of an educational program.
- The establishment of a branch campus
- Closing a program, off-campus site, branch campus or institution
- Entering into a collaborative academic arrangement that includes only the initiation of a dual or joint academic program with another institution
- Acquiring another institution or a program or location of another institution
- Adding a permanent location at a site where the institution is conducting a teach-out program for a closed institution
- Entering into a contract by which an entity not eligible for Title IV funding offers 25% or more of one or more of the accredited institution’s programs
There are three procedures established by SACSCOC for addressing the different types of substantive changes.
- Procedure One: SACSCOC procedure for a substantive change requiring SACSCOC notification and approval prior to implementation. Such changes require notification, a prospectus or application, and may involve an on-site visit.
- Procedure Two: SACSCOC procedure for a substantive change that requires only notification prior to implementation.
- Procedure Three: SACSCOC procedure for closing a program, instructional site, branch campus or an institution.
Any potential substantive change must be immediately reported to the College’s SACSCOC Liaison in order to determine any needed actions. The College’s SACSCOC Liaison will work with the appropriate College administrator(s) and SACSCOC personnel to ensure that correct procedures are followed. In some cases, the submission of a substantive change to SACSCOC must be 12 months prior to planned implementation.
This institutional policy is published on the College’s SACSCOC webpage.